Sunday, March 9, 2008

Scuba Scuba Scuba

So, I survived! There were really a couple of times I thought I was going to breath in and swallow all the ocean water and die, but I had a fantastic instructor and he was very good to let me live! Really, breathing underwater is not natural except for fish and babies, so it was rather an experience I am not too sure I love yet... but they say it gets better and more exciting with each dive.

So some highlights for you.: There originally were three instructors with two students each, but even before we started one instructor hurt his back, so we split into two groups of three.. there was an American (who has been living here for a few months and plans on staying) and four Aussies, all having their own reasons for taking the course. It was an enjoyable group and I did LOVE the small class sizes.. We say a couple of groups with 16 students to one instructor.. and to be honest, if that was my group I don't think I would have come back on the second day... seriously scary.. you know when you are scared to start with and having to just sit and wait for your turn to learn and fell comfortable.

So the first day, we were in the pool for like 3 1/2 hours learning the basics and getting used to the equipment and stuff.. then after lunch we did our first Open Water Dive. It was at Bare Island (which they tell me is where Impossible II was filmed, so I have to believe them.. ) It was interesting and I was thankful we didn't have to do any skill work at that point as I was sooooooo concentrating on breathing under water and getting over that feeling.. It was not a positive pressure situation, so there were moments you didn't have air being forced at you... still getting used to that! So we saw a huge Blue Groper (like seriously 2 1/2 feet big!!), a baby shark, and tons of other fishes and under water things... but seriously I was just trying to breath, so it wasn't too enjoyable. But again, I survived. I think we went like 8 metres deep for 40 minutes.

So today we went out to Cronulla and dove in Oak Park, where they call "the steps"... We did three dives there. All to different depths (8-10 metres) for about 45 minutes each dive. I got to see a sting ray, pretty darn close and another Blue Groper followed us for most of the day.. We had skills to do with each dive and I really concentrated on breathing with my mouth and not my nose and got a lot more comfortable with each dive. I feel much more prepared though to take on the under water world.

As I was swimming with the fishes, it dawned on me that I was also swimming with their feces.. lovely, I say!

So at the end of the day we all passed and got lovely certificates and I will get a fancy certification card to carry around! ( I tired for 20 minutes to upload some photos.. didn't work..)

That was the last two days in a nut shell. Tomorrow I am off to the Blue Mountains and with aching calves and a very tired head I will do a three hour hike in what promises to be some of the most beautiful scenery in the world. Carl (my instructor) promises my head will not explode (going from 10 meters below sea level to 250 meters plus above sea level)! That is a good thing!

Thanks for keeping in touch.. til next time....

No comments: